For many working people, staring at a computer for several hours is the norm in the workplace. That means, hours of screen time not including late night television binges, texts to friends, or surfing the net for recipes.
Some side effects of all this time spent with our eyes on screens include:
- eye strain,
- headaches, or
- vision changes.
If continued long term it may lead to health conditions type-2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and all-cause mortality.
Screen time usage strategies:
- Meet in an environment that supports active listening in place of texting;
- be certain all screens are at least 20-40 inches away;
- invest in anti-glare screens;
- observe routines to identify if a screen is even necessary;
- use an app, like Moment, to track your phone usage;
- take eye breaks…walk away from your screen for at least 20 second breaks every 20 minutes;
- commit to snail mail to communicate event or notification-specific items.